Blog 4 - Social media

Social media is extremely risky business. 

The blog posts that I have read, provided by the SSSC 23 Things challenge, have heightened my understanding that it is extremely important to keep my personal and professional social media accounts as separate as possible. 

This is something that I have not been great at in the past, for example I have added people I have met at work on Facebook as soon as I meet them and I have created a Whatsapp group with colleagues at our first day of training. These sort of behaviours open an individual up to being challenged further down the line for something said or posted on these social media platforms. Even if the thing posted is harmless, it could be interpreted wrongly by another individual. 

All of my previous jobs have been within the hospitality sector and therefore the consequences have been less severe than they would be now that I have entered the professional healthcare industry. Therefore I have been, and will continue to, follow the guidance from the SSSC, the range of blog posts out there and most importantly the social media policy and guidance provided to me by my employers. 

One step I have already taken is to make all of my social media accounts private, and one step I will take in the future is not to become friends on facebook, or any other social media platform, with any colleague until I am certain it is safe and appropriate to do so. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 3: My Digital Footprint - surprises, concerns and reflections

First Blog - Training as an NHS Clinical Support Worker